Monday, June 17, 2013

World War II Letters Home June 17, 1938-Estelles Wickenkamp

Cunard White Star
 
"Andania"
 
June 17, 1938
 
Dear Folks,
At last I am on a ship and we will be in Quebec in a few hours where I will mail this.
 
The scenery is very nice on both banks of the St. Lawrence. There are cabins and houses all along the shore lines. All down the river there are buoys. It is hard to describe just what the ship looks like inside, but I can tell you that you can sure get mixed up.
 
There are 6 of us boys from Canada going into R.A.F on this ship. We have second class tourist accommodations and it is quite nice. I had the porthole open and was sitting there for a long time watching the shores passing by. I was up in the bow for quite a while but it is quite breezy there.
 
We sure have swell meals here - anything you want and as much as you an hold. The 6 of us boys are at one table and each table has a separate steward.
 
We didn't have much of a stay in Montreal, got in at 8:30 a.m. today. It was raining while we were there and it is still cloudy, so I can't take any pictures. I took a few but I don't know how they will turn out. I have about 6 or 7 rolls but I will wait until I get settled before I get them developed.
 
I am sitting in the lounge writing this. There are oodles of easy chairs and books and magazines. We have tea at 4:00, supper at 7:00. Tomorrow night they will have a dance, every night, I guess, except tonight.
 
For the last week everything has surely been a wonderful experience. It is hard to explain what i have seen, but probably after we get across I will be able to tell you more. it takes about 8 days to get across so I suppose you won't get another letter from me for about 3 weeks. I hope you are all well.
 
Love,
Estelles


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: