Friday, January 3, 2014

World War II Letters Home January 3, 1939 - Estelles Wickenkamp

                                                                                                    Tuesday, January 3, 1939

I didn't get my letter finished last night, so I'll see what more I can add now.  I can't remember all the tools that I left in the garage, but here is a list  that will cover most of them:

I set (5) box wrenches
1 large box Wrench, off-set on one end only
1 set (3) box wrenches
1 set flat wrenches (about 6 0r 7)
1 set (3) ignition  wrenches
1 shore screwdriver (celluloid handle)
1 1 1/2 lb. ball peen hammer
1 8 in. blade crescent screwdriver
1 pr. side cutters (Swedish, I think)
1 set (4) chrome tappet wrenches
1 only 1/2 x 9 American tappet wrench (I'm not sure whether I left it home or not)
1 set 4 wheel pullers (in red boxes), also I think there were 2 others not in boxex
1 piston pin inserter (for A Fords)
1 value seat refacer with 4 or 5 pilot stems, different sizes
1 cheap value lifter (no good)
1 long handle spinner (with swivel end). You know the one I used for con. rods.
1 set sockets 12 pr. from 7/16" to 1 1 1/16" - most of them are bonney and grey, also two 21/32 for Fords (one extra thin, I ground it down)
1 tapped wrench 9 17/32 x 9/32 or some odd size like that
1 blow torch (with shield). I think I took mine in and took John's out home.  I'm not sure but I believe I had one of our soldering irons there too, (John only had one blunt one)
2 Lincoln grease guns (1 small, 1 medium)
1 oil and grease gun (brass barrell, about 2 1/2" diam. and screw handle, with detachable nozzle)
1 manifold box wrench, curved handle 5/8 x 9/16
1 manifold box wrench, short 9/16 x 5/8

I had a long handle speed wrench at home; if it is  not there then it must be at the garage, it was a Gray.

3 strips of feeler gauge stock .006. .008 and .013 thous.

I can't remember what else there might be but I think that covers the biggest part of it anyway.  They are your tools now so if you want to sell any of them you can, but I think they come in quite handy at home, even if it is just to fix the plow or rod-weeder.

I suppose the wind-electric is going strong.  Have you got an 8 volt battery now?  If you use 8 volts on the lights probably you should fix some sort of resistor or rheostat on one of the wires leading from the wall socket to the radio.  I think there is an extra rheostat in the junk up in your clothes closet or where ever it is by now.  You can test it with a volt meter to see when there is 6 or 6 1/2 volts going through.  You don't get any distant stations except on a big set.

The new Junior Term arrived here yesterday so things are going full swing again.  I felt a little strange when I went flying today after being off it for a couple weeks.  The Oxfords we fly this term are camoflaged on the top half, and have gun turrets and bomb racks.  Also they have only 1 pilots seat.  They are fitted with dual control.

There is still a trace of snow here, as it snowed a bit last night.  I don't mind the snow;  it is the water and mud that makes it rotten here.  The bottoms of our trousers are always slopped up with this clay.

I got a couple of letters from Fennel; he was up in Yorkshire the last I heard but I think he was moved from there now.

Well, I have just had a bath and I think it is my bedtime so I had better finish this now.  I'll have to write to Esther tomorrow night.

Take care of yourselves.

                                                                                                     Love,
                                                                                                     Estelles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: