Sunday, March 9, 2014

Census Sunday - 1860 US Federal Census - Joseph Smith - Attica,Fountain county, Indiana

 Schedule 1. -- Free inhabitants in Attica Logan township in the county of Fountain State of Indiana enumerated by me, on the 29th day of July 1860. W Trullinger Ass't Marshall. Post Office Attica  Page 112




Line 22 Joseph Smith 44 M Ferryman $1000 $150 IN
Line 23 Celia    " "      37 F                                      IN
Line 24 Isabel Dixon  16 F                                      IN
Line 25 Hannah          16 F                                     IN
Line 26 George Dixon 9 M                                     IN
Line 27 Mary A  Smith 1 F                                     IN

I believe that this is my Joseph Smith. In the 1850 Pine Twp. Census, he was 33 and a blacksmith, ferryman is the same thing. Also in the 1850 census Hannah was 6. If my theory is right Mary Ann died in April of 1856 and Joseph and Celia were married in July of 1856 in Fountain county, Indiana.  Also, Hannah was 6 in 1850. The big question is, where is Francis Marion Smith? He was born in 1853 so he would be 6. Well I did find a Francis Smith age 6 living with a sister, Martha in Springfield, Illinois. However, this Martha was married to a Robert Whist. Then there is a Mary A Smith age 1, named after first wife?

Stay tuned to Census Sunday were I will have another "Smith" census to try to piece my Joseph Smith family together. I just hope I have the right Joseph Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: