Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Wedding Wednesday - Jacob Best and Dorcas Smith

 This is the marriage of Jacob Best and Dorcas Smith in Warren County, Indiana on 27 February 1839. When I found the Indiana Marriage Collection, 1800-1941 index in 2008 on Ancestry.com it caught my eye because do have a Dorcas Smith, but the Dorcas Smith in my family tree is actually the sister of my 2x great grandfather Francis Marion Smith. So I knew it wasn't her because she married Aaron Dazey. What else caught my eye was the name Jacob Best. I do have Best's in my family tree. Francis Marion Smith's mother was Mary Ann Best. So I decided to write to Fountain County, Indiana County Clerk to see if I could get a copy of the marriage record. They didn't have it but said to write to Warren County Clerk. So that is what I did, and lo and behold I was able to get it. Well, I still didn't know who these people were, because their was no other names, etc. listed. So I filed it in my miscellaneous Smith stuff.  Fast forward to last 2013 when I received and email from another Smith researcher saying that my Joseph Smith had a match with her James Smith, and the brick wall started crumbling. To make a long story short, this Dorcas Smith is supposed to be my Joseph Smith's mother. She was born Dorcas Williams and married James Smith. After James Smith died she married Jacob Best. He was much younger then her so I am thinking maybe he is a brother of Mary Ann Best.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: